In recent years, the popularity of digital nomadism has exploded. More and more people are looking for ways to live a location-independent lifestyle, combining work and travel in a way that suits them.
If this sounds like you, you will be pleased to know that Malta offers a fantastic opportunity for digital nomads in the form of the Malta Digital Nomad Visa. Successful applicants will be allowed to work remotely in Malta for one (1) year. A National Visa valid for 91 to 180 days will be given to applicants staying for less than a year.
Keep reading to find out what you need to know about this visa, including eligibility requirements and how to apply through the assistance of our immigration experts here at Integritas.
To be eligible for the Malta Digital Nomad Visa, the applicants must:
- Be third-country nationals
- Prove that they can work remotely, using telecoms
- Have a valid travel document
- Have health insurance covering risks in Malta
- Hold a valid property rental or purchase agreement.
- Pass a background check
- Fall under any of the following categories:
1. Work for a foreign employer with a contract of work.
2. Be a partner/shareholder of a foreign-registered company for whom they conduct business activities.
3. Offer freelance or consulting services for permanent establishments in foreign countries with whom the applicant has contracts.
Those working for or contracted by foreign companies and providingservices to a company’s subsidiary in Malta cannot apply for the Nomad Residence Permit.
Required Gross Monthly Income
The applicant must reach the gross monthly income threshold of at least EUR 2,700. Additional dependants or eligible family members will have separate income thresholds.
Timeframe and Application Procedure
Following the submission of all necessary paperwork to the Residency Malta Agency, processing the application is anticipated to take up to 30 days. The application procedure involves the following steps:
- Gathering and completing necessary documents
- Submission of application and documents via email
- Application review by the Agency and other Maltese authorities
- Upon completion of review and approval, receipt of the Digital Nomad Residence Permit or National Visa, as the case may be.