The Malta Global Residence Programme (MGRP) offers a special tax status to qualifying applicants. The Global Residence Programme allows third-country nationals, excluding EEA and Swiss nationals, who satisfy the requirements in the Rules to be eligible for a special tax status.
The Integritas Group is an authorised mandatory who can assist you in applying for the programme.
Special Tax Status under the MGRP
Individuals participating in the Malta Global Residence Programme would be subject to income tax at 15% on income arising outside Malta and remitted to Malta. A minimum tax of €15,000 is due annually by the 30th of April. Any other income arising in Malta and not subject to tax under the Rules would be charged at the standard rate of 35%.
To qualify for a special tax status under the programme, one must:
- Not be an EU national (excluding a Maltese national) or a national of Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland.
- Not be a beneficiary of other tax programmes (Residents Scheme Regulations, High Net Worth Individuals Rules, Malta Retirement Programme, UN Pensions Programme, Qualifying Employment in Innovation and Creativity Rules, or Highly Qualified Persons Rules)
- Own or rent a qualifying property which the individual occupies as a principal place of residence
- In receipt of stable and regular resources sufficient to maintain themselves and their dependants
- Possess a valid travel document
- Possess sickness insurance for themselves and dependants, in respect of all risks across the EU covered for Maltese nationals.
- Adequately communicate in one of Malta’s official languages.
- Be a fit and proper person.
Required Property Investment
The applicant must satisfy either of the following property investments:
- Immovable property in Malta (other than the south of Malta) worth at least €275,000
- Immovable property in the south of Malta worth at least €220,000
- Immovable property in Gozo worth at least €220,000
- Immovable property in Malta (other than the south of Malta) for at least €9,600 per annum
- Immovable property in the south of Malta worth at least €8,750 per annum
- Immovable property in Gozo worth at least €8,750 per annum